New Package: fish

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Mon Jun 27 21:16:46 UTC 2005

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:04:16 +0200, Axel Liljencrantz wrote:

> Hello Michael,
>
> Thank you for your input. I'm sorry for the delay in my reply, but
> while I was writing my reply, my appendix burst, and I've spent the
> last few days recovering from surgery.

Hope everything is going well enough to take a first comment
(I'd like to give Oliver a chance to review/approve this). :-)

> >  * "License: GPL"? No. The C source files disagree. => LGPL
>
> All code written by me is released under the GPL.

Okay.

> >  * Your %postun script will break upgrades, as it will be executed
> >    last. Look like e.g. "bash" does it.
>
> I run fedora myself, and I've upgraded hundreds of time over the last
> few months, without any issues. The fish entry is not removed after an
> upgrade.

It is.  %postun is executed _last_ during an upgrade operation,
i.e. _after_ the new package was installed and _after_ the new package
had added its entry to /etc/shells. Effectively, it removes the entry.

> I checked what bash does, and the only difference is that the editing
> of /etc/shells is conditioned on
>
> if [ "$1" = 0 ]; then
>
> which I don't know what it does, since I haven't been able to find out
> what parameters are sent to the postun script. Sorry, but I don't own
> any books on RPM.
>
> Can you elaborate on the problem?

Some information is summed up here:

Running scriptlets only in certain situations
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingGuidelines#head-56184a8dc666e4aa73eeb9de3139c5bdcedf6bba

Entry page: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingGuidelines

A community-enhanced online version of Ed Bailey's Maximum RPM book
can be found here: http://rpm.org/max-rpm-snapshot/

> >  * Package doesn't build with $RPM_OPT_FLAGS, because it overrides CFLAGS
> >    with its own flags.
>
> fish uses some c99 features, I've had issues with some gcc version
> unless --std=gnu99 is specified. fno-strict-aliasing is there to
> remove warnings on Alpha. I fear that fish will not build correctly in
> all cases without gnu99.

Use of %configure fixed this issue already. Your code now inherits
the CFLAGS passed in from the outside.

> >  * (RFE: Is it possible to install documentation files into %_docdir like
> >    most other packages? i.e. %_datadir/doc/%name-%version)
>
> This required minor changes to the source, but the documentation
> directory is now specified by;
>
> %configure docdir=%_datadir/doc/%{name}-%{version}

./configure: line 2756: /usr/share/doc/fish-1.11.1: No such file or directory
checking for /proc/self/stat... yes

Is this related? It's new in release 4.

--
Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at users.sf.net>
Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz) - Linux 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4