Request for Review: hdf5 (was Re: hfd5 license)

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Jun 28 23:55:49 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 17:14 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> > Orion, I've got absolutely no problem with you becoming the maintainer
> > for this package. Its been sitting complete in my directory of "done,
> > but unsubmitted" packages for some time now, and since there seems to be
> > interest in it without szip, here it is:
> >
> > SRPM:
> > http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/hdf5-1.6.4-2.fc4.src.rpm
> > SPEC: http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/hdf5.spec
> >
> > I can't really review this (since its my spec). :) If Orion doesn't want
> > to own it for some reason, I will.
>
> I'm happy to own it, but I'm not quite there yet access wise.  I just
> put in my application for CVS access.  I suppose I still need a sponsor.
>   Not quite sure as I haven't heard back from anyone after my CVS
> application.

Did you send this through the https://admin.fedora.redhat.com/accounts/
system?

> I'll check out the package tomorrow.  Looks very close to what I have.
> Main difference is that I build hdf5, libhdf5, and libhdf5-devel
> packages.  I like this format as it separates the binaries and
> libraries, but don't know if there is fedora policy on this.

IMHO, there is no reason to separate the binaries into their own
package. In order to use them, you'll need to have the libraries
installed. Precedence in both Fedora Core and Extras has the binaries
going in the base package, and static libs, headers, and .so files in
the -devel package.

In hdf5, the sum of the binaries comes out to roughly 544K. Perhaps if
these binaries were in the >10M category, they would merit their own
package to save on download space...

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Sales Engineer || GPG Fingerprint: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!