New package: icmpdn

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Wed Jun 29 07:37:11 UTC 2005

> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:55:45 +0200, Fredrik Tolf wrote:

[ ... ]

>>but I still don't know what this "PreReq" thingie is.
>>Is it a tag in the same sense as Source0?
>

> It's similar to "Requires:" and historically meant to imply that
> a dependency must be present before (="pre") your package would be
> installed. Only true RPM wizards, who hang out on rpm-list, could
> tell you, whether nowadays "PreReq:" is any different from "Requires:"
> or "Requires(pre):".
>
> Note, that when you do
>
> %post -p /sbin/ldconfig
> %postun -p /sbin/ldconfig
>
> You get an automatic dependency on /sbin/ldconfig and need not add any
> such Requires or Prereq yourself.
>
> Flag "-p /bin/something" means to make /bin/something the scriptlet
> interpreter instead of /bin/sh, and hence a dependency on /bin/something
> will be automatic.

Just a note, wiki says, that we should not use PreReq (just read it).
And since it will detect the dep automatically, it's OK let the the
PreReq go and don't use Requires or something instead; Just kill it.

[ ... ]

> Well, I haven't had this on my todo list and hence have not examined the
> package, but I think it might take a few more small steps to get it
> prepared. Some things have been mentioned already (e.g. using %configure,
>
> Or: Since %{_sysconfdir}/init.d is a soft-link with Fedora Core, not a
> directory, please use %{_sysconfdir}/rc.d/init.d/ or %{_initrddir}/init.d/
> instead. Minor issue in Extras, would be a bigger one in Core.

Oops, I always thought it's btter to use %{_sysconfdir}/init.d...

Michael, do you know if  %{_initrddir} is set on older systems (eg.
rh8/9) as well?

Best,
  Oliver