Re: New package: tclhttpd

On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 10:48 -0700, Michael Thomas wrote:

> I just took a look at the spec file in the tcl src rpm

tcl is in Core.  That's not built by the same build system as Extras.

>  and it does not
> include %{?dist} in the Release tag.  From this I gather that the build
> system has some other magic that it uses to add the .fc4 segment to the
> resulting binary rpm.

Hum, I don't see any .fc4 segment in the release tag of the tcl package
I have installed.  It's tcl-8.4.9-3.

Anyway, there's no magic in the Extras build system.  It just passes a
couple of --define's to the rpmbuild command it invokes, see
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DistTag for details.

If you don't add a dist tag, you don't get one.

>   From this (and Michael's emails) I understand
> that including %{?dist} in the Release tag, while in no way harmful, is
> also not necessary.

It is not necessary, you're right.  One can also choose to manage the
release tags "manually", see Michael's mail.