Getting started in Extras

Quentin Spencer qspencer at ieee.org
Mon Mar 7 15:55:46 UTC 2005

Jeff Sheltren wrote:

>On 3/7/05 6:31 AM, "Michael Schwendt" <bugs.michael at gmx.net> wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 21:58:22 -0800, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
>>

>>>I see that cfengine is on the 'possibly orphaned' list for extras and I'd be
>>>willing to maintain it, but after quite a bit of reading of the Fedora
>>>Project Wiki I am more confused about what to do than when I started.
>>>

>>What in particular confused you?
>>

>>>Can
>>>someone lay out some basic steps of what is needed to maintain a package?
>>>

>>The most basic step is what you did. Mail to this list and show interest
>>in a package. If nobody raises any objections during the next 1-2 weeks,
>>package ownership could be transferred. With regard to cfengine, the
>>previous package owner doesn't use it actively anymore and hence would
>>feel better if somebody else took over package maintenance.
>>

>>>Is it just a matter of putting my name down in the 'need a sponser' list and
>>>waiting for CVS access, or am I missing something?
>>>

>>That's the general procedure for people who want CVS access.
>>
>>Meanwhile, if you want to present an update for cfengine and show sponsors
>>examples of your packaging, post about it here. It gives subscribers a
>>chance to comment on the changes/upgrade.
>>
>>There's also to the opportunity to import into CVS any proposed changes
>>right away and build binaries for the "testing" repository.
>>

>Hi Michael, specifically, I was confused about the general process of doing
>things here.  For example, does a package maintainer need CVS access, or do
>you start by having others commit changes for you?  Now I see that all
>maintainers need CVS access, but that wasn't clear before.
>
>Since I use cfengine extensively, I would be interested in maintaining it
>(although I see that David Dorgan has just submitted a package for it).  I'd
>also be willing to maintain ncftp if Matthias doesn't mind.
>
>Thanks for your response!
>
>-Jeff

I want to agree with Jeff. I have been somewhat confused as well over
this same issue. The documentation at the Wiki has gradually improved
quite a bit the last few weeks, so I think if you continue to clarify
things like this in the documents, it will help newcomers understand the
process.

-Quentin