Jabber Server?

Adrian Reber adrian at lisas.de
Thu Mar 10 07:16:23 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 12:10:22PM +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> Ok... another issue: you are using '%_localstatedir/jabberd' as the
> working directory for jabberd. I think this is not a good idea because:
>
> 1. the %_localstatedir macro is very problematic; RH defines it as
>    '/var' but other distros (Mandrake) use '/var/run'. When you really
>    want /var, then I would suggest the '%_var' macro. Btw, both macros
>    are used inconsequentially in %install and %files.

I have changed it to use %{_var}. I noticed that the %configure macro
uses --localstatedir=%{_localstatedir}.

> 2. /var/jabberd (to which the macros expands) is a bad place. It
>    requires feedback from the FHS:
>
>    | Applications must generally not add directories to the top level
>    | of /var. Such directories should only be added if they have some
>    | system-wide implication, and in consultation with the FHS mailing
>    | list.  [http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#THEVARHIERARCHY]
>
>    /var/lib/jabberd would be a better place.

I also changed this.

> Then:
>
> * | #enable SSL certificate
>   | ... <pemfile>/etc/jAbberd/server.pem</pemfile>,g' $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{sysconfdir}/c2s.xml
>                        ^
>
>   Is this mixed case really intentionally?

This was a typo. Thanks for spotting it.

> * I would add some more 'BuildRequires(...):'; e.g. coreutils,
>   shadowutils, chkconfig, initscripts, sed

You probably mean Requires(...), right? I have added the necessary
Requires. Maybe it would be good to have a list of Packages which do not
need to be added to BuildRequires/Requires mentioned in the Packaging
Guidelines. What is the minimal installation of the build system and
what is expected to be always on the users machine. I don't think sed
needs to be added to BuildRequires/Requires because initscripts depends
on it and I don't think there are many installations without
initscripts.

> * what are the reasons for creating pam.d/jabberd inline instead of
>   copying it from a %SOURCE file?

Hmm... I just like it better. Shouldn't be a problem...

> * '%config(noreplace) %{_initrddir}/%{name}' should not have the
>   'noreplace'; '%_initrddir' is one of the few places where a simple
>   '%config' suffices.

And this also changed.

		Adrian