Request: contributor to put DKMS into Fedora Extras

Bryan Stillwell bryans at aspsys.com
Tue Mar 15 01:20:10 UTC 2005

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 06:37:06PM -0600, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
>>The kernel-devel and kernel-module-foo approach is something that we
>>have been working on as a supportable alternative.  We need to better
>>standardize, fix and document it, then better automate package builds in
>>order to provide all kernel modules quickly for new released kernels.
>
>Believe it or not, I'm working on this. :)

I've actually been trying to figure out how to handle this well for
common cluster/HPC hardware drivers (myrinet, infiniband, new raid
controllers, etc.)

I'm wondering if there's been a solution to the problem where the kernel
rpm includes a driver module (say gdth.ko) and I want to use the newer
version of the driver because it works better.  How can I keep rpm from
thinking that gdth.ko in the kernel rpm conflicts with the file in
kernel-module-gdth?

I don't know about you guys, but I like to verify files on a system by
using the `rpm -V kernel` or `rpm -Va` commands...

Perhaps there's a file-can-be-overwritten option in rpm that I don't
know about?

Thanks,
Bryan

--
Aspen Systems, Inc.    | http://www.aspsys.com/
Production Engineer    | Phone: (303)431-4606