perl DBI modules and make test

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Tue Mar 15 08:48:25 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 22:02 -0800, Michael Peters wrote:
> It is generally a good idea to run "make test" after building a perl module.
> Some perl modules want a database names test that make test can use to
> allow table add and drop privileges for the current user.
>
> Does the Fedora Extras build machine sport this?

I don't think so, and even if it did, leaving such tests enabled by
default in specfiles would be a bad idea IMO.

In addition to needing DB access, some test suites (not only those of
perl modules) may require X running, network access, some want to send
email, import GPG keys etc.  It'd be better if these test suites are
disabled by default, perhaps using a guard like "%{?_with_tests:make
test}" and a comment why it's not on by default in the specfile's %check
section.

That way it's easy to enable them temporarily where one knows it's
possible and ok to run such tests.