Mono Platform

Chuck R. Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Tue Mar 15 15:17:28 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 04:11:14PM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > This violates the GPL, last time I looked. (IANAL)
> IANAL, too, but AFAICT, it depends.
>
> In general, "using closed source apps" from inside of GPL'ed code does
> not violate the GPL. It's common practice in many applications (E.g. GCC
> using "native binutils" or closed source shared libs on non-GNU
> platforms).

Using an app is not the same as linking to code, and neither of those
things has any bearing on the patent clause in the GPL, anyway.

We are talking about implementations of patented software algorithms.
You can't implement something that is patented and distribute it under
the GPL without having a royalty free patent grant.