potential candidates for contribution

Iago Rubio iago.rubio at hispalinux.es
Thu Mar 17 11:25:48 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 11:15 +0100, Rudolf Kastl wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 17.03.2005, 10:33 +0100 schrieb Iago Rubio:
> > On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 09:33 +0100, Rudolf Kastl wrote:
> > > Am Donnerstag, den 17.03.2005, 02:04 -0500 schrieb Ignacio Vazquez-
[snip]

> > > is that really an issue?
> >
> > It's in the Packaging Guidelines, so yes it's an issue.
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingGuidelines#head-
> > d0ada6130cf40be1244d34cc44fc38d34dd00db8
>
> ya i just asked that question for the trivial reason that doesnt make a
> difference at all besides some aestetic value ;).
> id see more sense if one of the styles would be preferred else its a mix
> up again repo wide.

I don't see no pros nor cons using one or another, but I'm sure for QA
will be better to follow the current guidelines.

As example, someone making QA on a lengthy spec file should want to
track where $RPM_BUILD_ROOT is used, and he could use egrep to check
it.

It will be much easier if he knows only one macro is being used.

> > [snip]

> > > available from newrpms see above
> >
> > I really don't think the availability of a dependency on newrpms have
> > anything to do with Fedora Extras.
> >
> > As I said, I think it will be much better to add first those
> > dependencies to Extras, as without them the packages you mentioned are
> > useless and should not be added.
>
> librarys without applications are as useless as applications without
> librarys. So i thought if  youd add a library you need a reason for
> adding the library? or am i wrong?

Nope, completely agree.

> If you read the initial mail the dependencys are part of the whole deal.

Yes, sorry. I missed this in your initial mail.

> maybe i should list em too... thought that was trivial.

I'm sure it could help if you post all packages you're willing to
maintain, and the requirements you are - also - willing to maintain.

This way any reviewer could follow the dependency chain to check if
those packages will fit in Extras.
--
Iago Rubio