fortune-mod vs bsd-games [was Re: ANNOUNCE: more unmaintained packages (fortune)]

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Mar 17 16:40:15 UTC 2005

On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 06:46:16AM -0800, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> > By the way, version 1.91 is avaliable here:
> > http://www.redellipse.net/code/fortune
> Cool, I'll check it out - thanks.

We have a bsd-games package, and it also includes fortune. We currently zap
the fortune program from it so that it won't conflict with fortune-mod, but
that seems kind of silly. Is there some huge advantage of the fortune-mod
fortune program over the bsd-games one?

I'd kind of like to get bsd-games into Extras. In addition to 'adventure',
'wumpus', and 'robots', it contains a few actually-useful tiny utilities,
like 'banner' and 'number', and of course vital-to-debugging 'pom'.

Unless there's a big advantage to the forked fortune program, any reason to
not just go to the bsd-games version?