Basic questions

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Sat Mar 19 22:13:15 UTC 2005

I starting poking around with the extras CVS with a view to maybe
taking over the orphaned fontforge package, and came up with
a few basic questions.

 Tags?

   It looks like there is no tagging of built versions in CVS.
   If you wanted to reproduce the 0:0.0-2.20041231 build of
   fontforge, how would you do it? The only tags I see in CVS
   are those from the import script.

   (In the internal Red Hat package CVS, the package maintainer tags,
   then the build system pulls off the tag)

 Building?

   Once you've updated a package how do you get it built. Is the
   process still "Put a note on
   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/FC3Status or
   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/FC4Status and then magic
   happens?"

 Releases for different distros

   Say I wanted to update the fontforge package for both the
   devel branch and for the FC-3 branch. Presumably, I want
   to make sure that the devel version number is always newer
   than the FC-3 version number so that people can do intro-distro
   upgrades and get the rebuilt version. How do I achieve this?

   One system I've used in the past (for Fedora Core / RHEL errata)
   is to say, call the devel version:

     mypackage-1.0-1.fc4

   Then backport to FC3 as:

     mypackage-1.0-1.fc3

   If I have fix specific to the FC3 package, I might then number
   the new version as:

     mypackage-1.0-1.fc3.1

   Is it reasonable to do something like this for extras? Is there
   a standard?

Regards,
						Owen