Review request: sabayon

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sun Mar 20 12:02:40 UTC 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:58:52 +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> > > 	I just went with whats in:
> > >
> > >   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/NewPackageProcess
> > >
> > > 	I didn't previously have any BuildRequires for gettext, because my
> > > understanding is that gettext isn't actually used when building the
> > > tarball because the binary message catalogs are in the tarball itself.
> > >
> > > 	Dunno, just presumed you guys had learned differently ...
> >
> > If that's the case then please remove the line altogether.
>
> 	I just made sure, and it seems to be using msgfmt, so I've kept the
> BuildRequires: gettext.

Still there's a difference between "configure" checking for gettext and
whether the found tools are used actually. Adding it because it is
searched for would be the road of least surprise. At fedora.us, gettext
was needed as explicit BuildRequires since the build environment didn't
include it by default. Hence packages, which actually ran gettext during
build, failed miserably in the build environment.