anyone working on Request Tracker, rt3?

Robert Kearey rkearey at redhat.com
Mon Mar 21 01:38:37 UTC 2005

Toni Willberg wrote:

> Is someone actively working on to get rt3 (http://bestpractical.com/rt/)
> into Extras?

> I recall there was someone working on it for fedora.us, but I lost track
> of it.

As someone who uses rt heavily, every few months I get started again on
doing this, and grind to a halt :)

> The tricky part of rt3 is that it depends on some 50 Perl modules, which
> of not all are already in Core or Extras.
>
> If I find time, I'm willing to help if someone is already working on
> this. Unfortunately I don't have time to manage all of it by myself.

The trick that needed for this to work is some kind of automated
CPAN->Yum repository solution. I've looked at the various CPAN->RPM
solutions [cpanflut2, cpan2rpm, Ovid, etc] and they all have pros and
cons. The one that looks best to me so far is Ovid, which in it's latest
form can at least avoid repackaging CPAN modules already provided by the
FC/RH Perl RPM. It only does MakeMaker, not Module::Builder however.

This [Making a workable rt3 channel/repo] has been an itch I've been
wanting to scratch for years. Really doing it right means an extension
to whatever buildsystem we come with in the long term, so perhaps now
the iron is hot enough to strike.

So, the core problem is thus: We need some way to reliably install CPAN
modules with Yum.

--
Rob K