xfce 4.2.1 packages available

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Mar 21 05:45:38 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 03:48 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:56:04 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
>
> > We are almost ready to push XFCE 4.2.1.1.  Only remaining question is if
> > we want to totally remove the .la and/or .a files from the binary
> > packages.  Do we?
>
> > http://people.redhat.com/wtogami/temp/xfce-FC3/
>
> Certainly for directories which contain .so plugins, e.g. in the xfprint
> package. I have strong doubts that static archives are needed in there.
>
> Whether the libtool archives are needed in such directories depends on how
> the .so files are loaded at run-time. Is it dlopen()? Then .la files are
> not needed.
I disagree.

If a package installs *.la's, then these are part of a package's API.
You are not legitimated to remove them, because this would break the API
a package provides.

It doesn't matter if these *.so/*.la's are being used by the package
they are shipped with, because you can't know what other applications
might do with them.

This applies to shared libraries as well as to plugins - They are
supposed to be "shared" between applications.

Ralf