New fedora-rpmdevtools: cleanup old stuff

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon Mar 21 22:21:12 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 18:18 +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> I'm preparing a new version of fedora-rpmdevtools.
[...]

One more suggestion, yell if you have objections:

gcc-java, libgcj and friends have matured quite a bit recently, and due
to the chain of dependencies, I thought I'd give them basically the same
treatment as gcc-c++ in rmdevelrpms.  IMO it's a bit too much to ask
people to remove stuff like Eclipse by default (even if rmdevelrpms can
be configured to not do that).

This would mean that the following packages would no longer be
candidates for removal by default (see #151622 for zlib-devel):
gcc-java, libgcj, libgcj-devel, java-*-gcj-compat-devel, zlib-devel

OK/NOK?  Remember, the goal of rmdevelrpms is NOT to reduce an
installation into a minimal buildroot.  It's more like trying to find a
sweet spot where packagers' (package) dev boxes would be reasonably
"clean" environments where missing build deps can be found as early as
possible, while keeping the system otherwise usable for various common
purposes without having to reinstall everything.