potential candidates for contribution

Rudolf Kastl che666 at uni.de
Thu Mar 24 00:53:45 UTC 2005

Am Montag, den 21.03.2005, 06:09 +0100 schrieb Ralf Corsepius:
> On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 20:02 +0100, Rudolf Kastl wrote:

> > > Libraries without applications can be used by developers (To develop new
> > > applications and to aid in porting from other libraries/versions.)  So
> > > having them in a repository for people to decide to download makes quite a
> > > bit of sense to me.
> >
> > that is of course true but developers usually grab cvs ;).
>
> No. You seem to be mixing up developers that "work on a library" (these
> often will pickup CVS), with developers that "work on something using a
> library".
>
> The latter case is way more common than the former.
>
> Ralf

i do package some librarys myself for that reason. i just yet assumed
that it would be more useful to package both more or less. you can also
write a new library for a set of applications which is what happens too
and well maybe less often. But ya i dont disagree there really with the
above posts.

A regular user though has no use of a library that has no application
and that is basically what i was referencing to.

but e.g. looking at the planeshift project.... the developers only use
cvs of crystalspace to develop. thats why their shots also only work
with a special checkout day of cs. Its an example but i think that is
really a question how something is developed.

i see 2 possibilities there... either you work with the cvs of the
library to have your future application work with the future release of
the library (e.g. in case of api change).
or you simply go and and stick with stable versions and fix it up for
the new library sometime after.
Lets assume you encounter a problem. Atleast thats the time when you
will checkout cvs anyways (and maybe also from then on) in a scenario
with non continously changing apis.

if you need a quick routine from a library for a small script its nice
for you if you can just pull the library.
but then again if the library has no applications you also usually dont
have test cases etc (from a packagers/developers point of view).

I actually didnt wanna get that deep into it but couldnt resist ;)

regards,
rudolf kastl