Jabber Server?

Adrian Reber adrian at lisas.de
Thu Mar 24 21:51:00 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 02:24:44PM +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> > So should I request a build or are there any open issues with jabberd?
>
> * '-p' should be used with %install

That's easy to fix.

> * /usr/bin/c2s is packaged SUID root... is this really needed, especially
>   because gcc4 gives out a lot of warnings and the code is not trivial

The problem for me is that I need the suid binary so that the pam
authentication works. I am not sure if there is maybe another solution.

> * the initscript starts 5 daemons; when jabber allows to use only a
>   subset of them on one machine, there should exist a way to disable
>   startup of some daemons. Generally, I would prefer one initscript per
>   service.

How about /etc/sysconfig/jabberd with a list which daemons to start?

> * the programs are linked against libraries with redundant functionality
>   (mysql vs. pgsql, perhaps ldap). I would prefer either subpackages with
>   minimal binaries (e.g. -mysql, -pgsql, -ldap), or at least, that unneeded
>   functionality can be disabled at build-time. E.g. when writing

I also thought about subpackages but this would mean that it has to be
compiled multiple times, right? Especially difficult is that it could be
possible that someone wants to use pgsql as backend storage and ldap for
authentication, so that the best sollution would be your suggestion to
disabled functionality at build-time. I will check in a new version
shortly. Thanks.

		Adrian