Missing packagers (more info)

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Mar 25 13:30:05 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-25 at 05:47 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:35:48 -0500, Ed Hill wrote:

> > > Hmm, you're the first to say that. I'm not aware of my mail provider
> > > causing such problems. Some fedora.us contributors I had mailed by
> > > accident (not recognizing their e-mail addresses) managed to get back to
> > > me quickly. Additionally, you have not reacted to bugzilla activity for a
> > > very long time either.
> >
> > Were the blocked emails returned with some sort of SPF message?
> >
> SPF was nothing new in December 2004. The most important thing about it
> is, that for sender domains that have it enabled, you must use the
> domain's mailserver or else the sender verification fails when a
> destination mailserver relies on SPF.

> So, no mud-wrestling, please, as with bugzilla.fedora.us (apart from
> relevant mailing lists) we certainly had a way to leave trackable
> comments.

OK, no mud-wrestling:

  Fact 1:  I think Michael S. is a very knowledgeable, hard-working,
    and detail-oriented Fedora volunteer.  I sincerely appreciate all
    the help I've received from him.

  Fact 2:  At least two people have had their emails to Michael blocked.

  Speculation:  Its entirely possible that other people have had their
    emails blocked and, rather than implementing SPF or trying to
    contact through other routes, they simply gave up.

Ed

ps - My crummy little vanity domain that I use for email is virtually
hosted by one of the larger virtual hosting companies.  After adding the
SPF syntax to DNS, I experienced a nasty DNS outage days later when
their broken DNS-virtual-hosting-management scripts barfed on the SPF
syntax.  It took days and phone calls to straighten out the problem.
So, while some folks could reasonably argue that its a good thing to
forge a trail and fix their DNS so that others can use SPF, it certainly
wasn't fun or convenient.  And yes, Michael, you should be flattered--I
went through all that just to send you a few emails.  ;-)

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307
emails:  eh3 at mit.edu                ed at eh3.com