New Package for Review: jack-audio-connection-kit (&selinux?)

Fri Mar 25 18:34:10 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 17:40, Aaron VanDevender wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 15:09 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>
> > Good. If/when it makes it to Extras there's a lot of stuff waiting that
> > depends on it (for example Rosegarden, which was requested a couple of
> > days ago).
>
> Funny you mention that. I actually just wrote a rosegarden .spec. I'll
> submit the .src.rpm when I finish testing it a little more.

The existing packages at Planet CCRMA may save you some time, they work
on rh9/fc1/fc2/fc3 and have been tested by a lot of users, not to mean,
of course, that they could not be improved :-) I'm attaching my current
spec for rosegarden4.

> > Sounds good to me. With the proviso that users should be warned, the
> > expectation of low latency performace is there otherwise, and users will
> > not get it unless they are willing to run everything as root (yuck!).
>
> my (limited) experience using JACK hasn't had too many problems with the
> performance (no xruns, etc.) even when not running as root, provided the
> correct frame/period settings are used.

What are you using reliably?

> But I'm sure that probably varies by hardware and by task.

Yep. To do recording projects, for example, you do need realtime
priority otherwise a single xrun will ruin your take. Unless you don't
mind clicks in your audio. You can, of course, minimize the chance of
that happening, but you will eventually get xruns without running with
"-R". Another case is playing software synths in realtime, you need low
latency settings in Jack or you will notice the "lag" while playing.

> > Even if it had been worked out the lsm module cannot be built with the
> > existing Fedora kernel configuration, it needs:
> >   CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES=m
> > instead of
> >   CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES=y
> > and both modules can't be stacked together (at least the last time I
> > tried it it was not working).
>
> Perhaps we should open a bugzilla on the kernel about this?

Probably, I don't know what this would affect. It is more a conflict
than a bug.

-- Fernando