Fedora extras and opensource games with shareware datafiles

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Wed Mar 30 13:42:19 UTC 2005

seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 10:10 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Can opensourced game-engines such as doom, heretic and descent which
>>come with freely distributable shareware gamedata files, be a part of
>>Fedora extras?
>>
>>I would like to package and maintain a number of these as part of Fedora
>>extras.
>>
>>For example take a look at my d1x packaging attempt at:
>>http://jwrdegoede.freesuperhost.com/
>>

> If you're going to include the shareware parts in the games I'd say no.
>
> They don't meet the FOSS requirements of fedora.
>
> If you're going to have the gamedata files elsewhere then sure.

Erm,

The idea was to add an shareware-data rpm for those who don't have the
registered version Yes.

1) It is not as if sourcecode for the datafiles exist, they are after
all data, not Machine instructions. The data can be edited with freely
available tools. How does this differ from png's distributed with other
programs?

2) I thought that oss programs needing closed data/firmware was OK as
long as the data/firmware is freely redistributable. Isn't the plan for
example to distribute intell wireless firmware in core as soon as it
some problems with it not being 100% freely redistributable are fixed.

If something is good enough for core, then why isn't it good enough for
extras?

Regards,

Hans