no xfce for FC4?

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Wed Mar 9 02:49:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:31:13 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> Tom> All packages (with libraries):
> Tom> If the package is adding new libraries on install (or removing
> Tom> old libraries on uninstall/upgrade), you need to have:
>
> Tom> %post -p /sbin/ldconfig
> Tom> %postun -p /sbin/ldconfig
>
> Tom> Check your packages, I don't see these being used anywhere.
>
> They are in a number of the packages:

> xffm/xffm.spec:Prereq: /sbin/ldconfig
> xffm/xffm.spec:%post -p /sbin/ldconfig
> xffm/xffm.spec:%postun -p /sbin/ldconfig
>
> It's worth noting here that rpmlint complains about that. It says that
> post and postun are empty.

That's because rpmlint is right, but braindead. The scriptlet bodies are
empty (any line up to the next spec file section is included in the
scriptlet body), but the -p parameter executes /sbin/ldconfig as the
script interpreter and also creates an automatic dependency on
/sbin/ldconfig.  That's all you want: execute ldconfig.

Just for comparison, a non-empty scriptlet (here setting the script
interpreter /bin/sh explicitly) would look like this:

  %post -p /bin/sh
  do something

or (with default script interpreter /bin/sh):

  %post
  do something

Sometimes you will find packages, where -p is not used, either because it
is not known or the packager plans to execute more than just ldconfig in a
post-install shell script:

  %post
  /sbin/ldconfig
  # more could be execute here