Jabber Server?

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Mar 9 11:10:22 UTC 2005

adrian at lisas.de (Adrian Reber) writes:

> [... jabberd ...]
> Thanks. That's how I changed it.

Ok... another issue: you are using '%_localstatedir/jabberd' as the
working directory for jabberd. I think this is not a good idea because:

1. the %_localstatedir macro is very problematic; RH defines it as
   '/var' but other distros (Mandrake) use '/var/run'. When you really
   want /var, then I would suggest the '%_var' macro. Btw, both macros
   are used inconsequentially in %install and %files.

2. /var/jabberd (to which the macros expands) is a bad place. It
   requires feedback from the FHS:

   | Applications must generally not add directories to the top level
   | of /var. Such directories should only be added if they have some
   | system-wide implication, and in consultation with the FHS mailing
   | list.  [http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#THEVARHIERARCHY]

   /var/lib/jabberd would be a better place.

Then:

* | #enable SSL certificate
  | ... <pemfile>/etc/jAbberd/server.pem</pemfile>,g' $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{sysconfdir}/c2s.xml
                       ^

  Is this mixed case really intentionally?

* I would add some more 'BuildRequires(...):'; e.g. coreutils,
  shadowutils, chkconfig, initscripts, sed

* what are the reasons for creating pam.d/jabberd inline instead of
  copying it from a %SOURCE file?

* '%config(noreplace) %{_initrddir}/%{name}' should not have the
  'noreplace'; '%_initrddir' is one of the few places where a simple
  '%config' suffices.

Enrico