Cfengine

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Thu Mar 10 08:50:09 UTC 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Enrico Scholz wrote:

> sheltren at cs.ucsb.edu (Jeff Sheltren) writes:
>
>> http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~jeff/extras/cfengine.spec
>
> Some words about this spec file:
>
> * macros and fixed paths are used in a mixed manner; e.g.
>
>  | mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_localstatedir}/%{name}
>  | ...
>  | mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/var/cfengine/bin
>
> * %_localstatedir should not be used as it differs between rpm
>  implementations (it is /var on Fedora, but /var/run on Mandrake)

Mm, since when have we started worrying about these packages being built
correctly on other distributions? Not that I really care whether you just
hardcode /var or use %{_localstatedir} or %{_var} or whatever, I just find
the reasoning a bit strange here.

> * /var/cfengine should not be used; /var/lib/cfengine is a more FHS
>  compliant path

Cfengine is pretty much anti-FHS much like mailman used to be - upstream
insists on /var/cfengine path. Dunno how much things would break if moved
someplace else.

 	- Panu -