%ghost weirdness in fedora-rpmdevtools

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Tue Mar 15 16:57:19 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:30:33 -0500, Chuck R. Anderson wrote:

> > I've noticed that umask is applied although the double-verbose output
> > says "perms 0755". With umask 077, /usr/lib64 and all its subdirs are
> > chmod 0700 here. So, that's a different bug.
>
> Isn't that how umask is supposed to work?  0755 & ~0077 == 0700
>
> Or do you mean that the bug is in the debug output "perms 0755"?

The latter. I expect the debug output to display the effective file access
permissions as passed to chmod(2). Because in an rpm spec file one also
specifies effective chmod values in %defattr and %attr.

Maybe that's a wrong assumption.

That so-called "unowned directories" (which are directories not listed in
a spec's %files section) can be created with insufficient permissions due
to umask, too. That's known for a long time. I'm surprised the debug
output says "directory created with perms 0755".