Exim

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Mar 16 16:39:53 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 10:01 -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> When Exim was pulled from Core it looked like there were a couple of
> people willing to maintain it in Extras.  Unfortunately it hasn't
> seemed to have appeared there yet, and the version that was last in
> Rawhide is now outdated.

The deletion of Exim came entirely out of the blue -- I'd actually built
exim-4.50-2 for rawhide the night someone took some bad crack and
removed it.

We need Exim in RHEL -- we can't be quite to haphazard about removing
stuff from RHEL when other packages don't provide equivalent
functionality. So we need to keep maintaining it in the internal CVS
tree, and I will continue to do so.

There has been some discussion of how we get the internally-maintained
packages into Extras -- but as with the rest of the Extras process, it's
all a little hazy at the moment and nothing's really taken shape in time
for FC4.

I'd already split the exim-doc package out, because it was 2/3 of the
size of the total, is updated out of sync with the binary package and
comes from entirely separate source tarballs. That's a candidate for
being imported to Extras CVS, perhaps -- but consider Exim itself
vetoed. I'm still hoping that the consensus on the fedora-maintainers
list will be followed and all 1721KiB of exim will be put back into FC4;
there's certainly enough room for it.

--
dwmw2