Review request: sabayon

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Sat Mar 19 10:27:01 UTC 2005

Mark McLoughlin wrote:

>>- I would try to get a fixed user for sabayon instead of just using a
>>random UID/GID (it's a system user after all)
>

> 	Well, that's what my previous mail was about. I had tried using
> fedora-usermgmt when I thought it was the consensus that all Extras
> packages should use it, but wasn't really convinced by it, so I dropped
> it again. I'm not sure how an Extras package can reserve a system UID
> otherwise, though ...

Normally I would suggest using fedora-usermgmt, but in this case maybe
it is somewhat unique.  The only question mark would be the effect it
has on multi-user systems with UID's coming from the network.  However
sabayon is meant to be used only by a sysadmin, and it really doesn't
belong installed in such an environment.

%pre
/usr/sbin/groupadd -r %{name} &>/dev/null || :
/usr/sbin/useradd  -r -s /sbin/nologin -c "Sabayon user" -g %{name}
%{name} &>/dev/null || :
/usr/sbin/usermod -d "" %{name} &>/dev/null || :

Have you tested the effect of this during an upgrade from one package to
another?

Might it be appropriate to have the username be like "system-sabayon" or
something?  That would make it stick out as a username and home
directory, making it very clear that it is NOT a regular user account.

Thoughts?

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com