New fedora-rpmdevtools: cleanup old stuff

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sun Mar 20 19:05:26 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 12:28 -0500, Toshio wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 18:18 +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > I'm preparing a new version of fedora-rpmdevtools.  I'm doing various
> > cleanups in it, fixing some minor bugs, and will include Nils
> > Philippsen's spectool in the package.  The new version will be primarily
> > targetting FC3 and later (although it will still continue to work with
> > older releases down to RH 8.0 too, some minor features will be disabled
> > with FC1 and earlier though).
> >
> Proposed patch to spectemplate.spec that should address this problem:
>   https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-
> December/msg00838.html

How about if I just remove the "full featured" spec template from
rpmdevtools, and we provide one with a better coverage, docs and
annotations somewhere else, eg. Wiki?

The template is still hopelessly incomplete for various common packaging
tasks.  Updating it to cover everything doesn't make sense, it'd be too
bloated to be really useful as a spec template for anything, really.

[...]
> It also adds killall -HUP gconfd-2 which is known to work in FC3+
> versions of GConf2.  I haven't evaluated whether it's harmful for pre-
> FC3 gconf (I don't have pre-FC2 anymore.)

That killall as it was in the patch will cause upgrade failures and
duplicate leftover packages if there's no gconfd-2 running.  Quick
"fix": killall -HUP gconfd-2 || :

> This patch could be improved if someone can figure out how to deal with
> previous packages built with the broken %preun scriptlets.  (As it is,
> the problem expressed in the cited email will continue when upgrading
> the set of currently broken packages.)

%triggerpostun could help.  See /usr/share/doc/rpm-*/triggers