Sponsorship Concerns Re: xfce 4.2.1 packages available

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Sun Mar 20 21:43:23 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-19 at 23:51 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> Everyone,
> I have spent hours analyzing and fixing Kevin's packages, when the job
> is already supposed to be nearly done at this point.  The changes that
> he made were mostly superficial, and in cases where they were not (like
> xfdesktop below), they were highly problematic or plain wrong.

Warren, if you look at what he did, he used the wrong spec file. Which
is an easy mistake for a new packager to make. He didn't insert
malicious code, or rm -rf /.

> It is quite clear to me that this guy is unqualified to be maintaining
> these packages without supervision.  But it is not his fault.  *Maybe*
> it would be acceptable if his membership sponsor were educating him
> while watching his activities, but it it seems that spot has been busy
> this week.

On the contrary, I think he's doing just fine. I don't expect him to be
perfect, and neither should you. He's been very responsive in fixing
things that are identified, and no one is going to claim that the xfce
sources are a trivial thing to package. He's learning, and he's not
repeating mistakes.

Calling him out (and me by proxy) is wholly unprofessional, and totally
uncalled for. Fedora Extras is not some sacred cow that will be
tarnished by the mistakes of new packagers. To his credit, he responded
politely to something that stooped to the level of a personal attack.

Shame on you Warren. Think before you spit venom in public, please. If
you actually believed he was unqualified, you should have taken it to me
off-list. If you thought I was unqualified, you should have taken it to
me off-list.

~spot