Jabber Server?

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Mar 24 14:51:54 UTC 2005

dag at wieers.com (Dag Wieers) writes:

> There's no big difference between using the actual build time (when %build
> ran) or the install time (when %install ran). Other than that the install
> time on the files are most likely somewhat closer together.
>
> So I really do not see why someone wants to preserve the build time. None
> of the advantages you state are unique for using -p, they are true for not
> using -p.
>
> Or am I missing something obvious here ?

Yes... you are missing that not the %build time will be used but the
time when the file was created at the upstream author. E.g. jabberd.spec
contains

| %{__install} -m 644 tools/migrate.pl $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_datadir}/%{name}

and

| $ ls -l tools/migrate.pl
| -rwxr-xr-x  1 ensc ensc 9528 Oct  3  2003 tools/migrate.pl

I know, that in some cases the files will be touched at %build time and
there is no big difference between using '-p' or not using it. But using
'-p' globally does not hurt and you do not have to decide whether you
copy a static file or a generated one.

Enrico