.la files, again

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Tue Mar 29 15:47:17 UTC 2005

Aurelien Bompard wrote:

> Now I have a problem rebuilding amarok's latest version :
./amarok/src/engine/libengine.la ../../../../amarok/src/plugin/libplugin.la
> -lkdecore -lakode
> grep: /usr/lib/libltdl.la: No such file or directory
> /bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib/libltdl.la: No such file or directory
> libtool: link: `/usr/lib/libltdl.la' is not a valid libtool archive
> make[5]: *** [libamarok_aKode-engine.la] Error 1
> --------------------
>
> The missing /usr/lib/libltdl.la file should be provided by the libtool-libs
> package, which is in core.

Yep.

> Any idea how to avoid this, and how to avoid this in the future ?

Fix libtool-libs to provide libltdl.la
or
Fix the /usr/lib/*.la file referring to the missing libltdl.la file

> Should we simply keep every .la files, even in core ?

No way hosay.

>If we delete them only to save
> space, then maybe it's a good example of "premature optimization". Do we
> have an example of something breaking because the .la files were included ?

It's not space savings you're after by omitting .la files (they are
relatively small).  It is dependancy bloat, *especially* for
/usr/lib/lib*.la files in -devel packages.

-- Rex