make tag and %{?dist}

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Wed May 4 08:24:22 UTC 2005

On Tue, 03 May 2005 22:51:20 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

> For the actual RPM build, on the actual Red Hat build systems, this is
> how it would be/is done.  That is where the "scary macro voodoo" that
> Ignacio mentioned in another thread comes into play.

Revisiting the dist-tag related thread on fedora-packaging list would
make sense.  As long as I cannot store a single src.rpm revision in a
single branch and build this single src.rpm for multiple target
distributions, the system is flawed. It is more convenient to just
hardcode .fc4, .fc3 and friends in the spec file, because we duplicate
packages in multiple branch directories.

> But, the process to get a package actually built on the Red Hat build
> systems from Fedora Extras CVS

There is no such build system. Seth Vidal has been building packages with
the help of a few scripts and later a yum-ified mach, and he's working on
creating a tag-based automated build system, too. So far, tags have not
been necessary for any builds. But tags are useful, and hence they are
mentioned in the Hints section. Whether contributors revisit the Wiki
pages occasionally, I don't know.