Review Request: pptp

Chris Ricker kaboom at oobleck.net
Tue May 10 12:38:50 UTC 2005

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Paul Howarth wrote:

> Client for the proprietary Microsoft Point-to-Point Tunneling
> Protocol, PPTP.  Allows connection to a PPTP based VPN as used
> by employers and some cable and ADSL service providers.
>
> Spec file:
> http://www.city-fan.org/~paul/extras/pptp/pptp.spec

Spec looks good

What are your thoughts on MPPE inclusion? Every Microsoft PPTP VPN I've
ever seen required that as well.... It may be patent-encumbered though?

Packaging of pptpconfig to go with this would be useful too

> An open source PPTP VPN server is also available, namely PoPToP
> (http://poptop.sourceforge.net/). I may package this for extras too at a later
> date if there's demand for it.

Given the general broken-ness of PPTP, it might be best not to encourage
people to persist in furthering the use of it :-)

later,
chris