Updated new package : dejavu-fonts-1.10

Mon May 23 20:42:24 UTC 2005

Le lundi 23 mai 2005 à 15:24 -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway a écrit :
> On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 21:48 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > Tom 'spot' Callaway a écrit :

> > > Bad:
> > >
> > > - Missing Requires: fontconfig (is there ever a scenario where we don't
> > > want fc-cache to run on %post?)
> >
> > This part is 100% the same as the Vera package in FC.
>
> Then, the Vera package in FC is probably broken. If we want to run
> fc-cache, then we need fontconfig to be installed, and thats the only
> way to be sure of it.
>
> Now, if you can provide a case where we would not want to run fc-cache
> on %post, then perhaps this isn't a blocker. :)

Well, from memory (you should really read the archives or ask Owen to
get the full explanation) :

We use "opportunistic" scriptlets here - they'll use fc-cache if it's
present on system, but do not require it. This means you can install
fonts on a system without fontconfig (think application server that has
its own font processing lib...). However, if you have a single app
on-system that uses fontconfig, its own requires will have it installed
and fc-cache will be run (either at fontconfig install time or at font
install time)

This IMHO is the right model. Font are ressources so they should not
require apps or libs that may use them. The dependency goes the other
way: the gimp can require a tile package to use in its filters, but the
tile package should not require the gimp.

Of course since in this particular case you have a 95% chance of having
fontconfig on-system regardless of what you put in this particular spec,
the debate is largely academic nowadays.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot