Errors found by rpmlint

Quentin Spencer qspencer at ieee.org
Fri May 27 16:17:06 UTC 2005

I'm preparing octave-forge for final review, and I would like some input
on the errors that rpmlint is finding:

1. wrong-script-end-of-line-encoding
There are more than 10 of these errors. They are caused by scripts that
were created for octave by Windows users. Octave will still read and run
the scripts just fine. Most users will never actually see the files.
They could be fixed using something like dos2unix, but this seems like a
tradeoff between cluttering the spec file vs. cluttering the output of
rpmlint--so which is worse? I have cvs access to upstream and can fix
these there, but I don't know soon a new release is planned.

2. devel-file-in-non-devel-package
This error is created by two header files that are included for the
benefit of users trying to port C code written to interface with Matlab
to work with octave. Is it worth creating a devel package for this? I
believe the Debian package keeps these in octave-forge.

3. non-standard-dir-in-usr libexec
Several pre-compiled functions are placed in octave's path for these
files, which is in /usr/libexec. This is non-standard? There sure is a
lot of stuff from other packages in /usr/libexec . . . . I also find it
odd that rpmlint thinks this is non-standard given there exists a
%{_libexecdir} RPM macro.

I appreciate any input on these.

-Quentin