make tag and %{?dist}

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazquez at ivazquez.net
Wed May 4 02:00:43 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 20:50 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to figure out how the %{dist} macro is supposed to work with
> the 'make tag' command in CVS.
>
> According to http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DistTag one can append
> %{?dist} to the Release field in the spec file and it will be expanded
> to the correct value when the package is built by the build system.
>
> However, unless the spec file contains something like:
>
> %define dist .fc4
>
> the 'make tag' command will not pick up the dist tag part of the Release
> field because it is not defined.
>
> Where that becomes a problem is if a package is essentially the same for
> both FC3 and FC4.  Since the dist tag isn't expanded, a 'make tag' will
> result in the same tag for both branches, and that isn't allowed.
>
> So, is it valid to "hardcode" %{dist} as above?  If so, what's the point
> of even using %{?dist}, since you could just hard code the .fc4 into the
> Release field?
>
> Hopefully I'm just confused.  Any pointers would be appreciated.

You need the "scary macro voodoo" that the wiki article talks about if
you want to do it on your machine.

http://fedora.ivazquez.net/files/macros.disttag

Although I'm not sure if it's actually used in the Extras build system.
If not then there's no point to the disttag.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazquez at ivazquez.net>
http://fedora.ivazquez.net/