make tag and %{?dist}

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed May 4 14:51:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 09:07 -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 16:01 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Wed, 04 May 2005 08:43:25 -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> >
> > > Q: Does .fc3 have to be lowercase?
> > > A: Yes. This is for consistency.
> >
> > And consistency is necessary or else: .fc3 > .FC4
> >
> > > Q: Can't I just hardcode the .fc3 into the Release?
> > > A: No.
> >
> > An increasing number of packages do this already. There is
> > no difference between hardcoding %dist or using a constant instead.
>
> Well, there's no time better than the present to stop. :)
Except, if there are bad conventions - With all due respect, what you
described its waaaaay toooo complicated and means asking for trouble.

Instead, implement one, single, mandatory convention or even let the
buildsystem automatically assign, "Release" numbers which are guaranteed
to be steadily increasing and conflict-free between FC release.

Ralf