[REQUEST] kguitar

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sat May 7 08:08:45 UTC 2005

Dan Gabriel Ghita wrote:
> hello, it's my first time doing this and i'm not exactly sure what to
> write. i'd like if you can to include this program into fedora extras
> package. if you could i'd be really grateful as i've had a horrible time
> installing it (i don't even have the latest version and right now i
> didn't yet manage to get it working properly because it uses midi and
> that's a bit difficult for me to configure as a newbie). i've managed
> with help from a friend who knows linux a lot better than i do (if it
> weren't for him i would have quit) and i've installed it along with its
> dependencies from an apt repository off www.rockerssoft.org
> <http://www.rockerssoft.org/> but unfortunately the rpms are for fc2 and
> i'm experiencing some problems with it. i'd be really grateful if you
> can include this as it would be a whole lot easier just doing yum
> install kguitar. i know it would be really useful too as a lot of people
> who use windows use guitar pro 4 which kguitar can import files from. so
> that would help guitarists migrate easier from windows to linux. if you
> can help me the program's homepage is http://kguitar.sourceforge.net
> <http://kguitar.sourceforge.net/> where it has sources plus some ALT
> linux rpms (which i couldn't install). uh, i think that's a bit too much
> information.
> if you can, i'd be happy if you would send me a response with your decision,

Dan,

The whole idea behind extras is that it is a volunteer driven effort. So
if you would like to see/have a good package of kguitar, the best way to
get such a package is to volunteer to make it, each piece of software
needs a packager preferrably one who is actually using the piece of
software.

I understand from your mail that you're not all that experienced with
Linux and/or packaging. This good be a good and fun oppurtinity to learn
  about and to contribute to Linux.

The process for becoming a Fedora Extras contributer and for creating a
new package is outlined at:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/NewPackageProcess

I'm willing to be your sponsor for CVS access and I'm going to be your
primary reviewer. For now I think it best not to start the CVS access
procedure but first try to get a package and then I'll import it into CVS.

I'm also willing to help you with the actual packaging, but I can't do
it completly for you since I'm not a regular user of kguitar and as such
don't know what options to in/exclude and I'm going to be no good in
testing it.

For starters I suggest that you find the srpm for the altlinux rpm, this
is a special rpm containing the source code and the specfile a specfile
is  a file which contains instructions for rpm on howto build the rpm.

You also need to have the rpmbuild package installed. Once the rpmbuild
package is installed, install the srpm from altlinux with "rpm -ivh
<filename>". Now you should have a kguitar.spec in
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS, goto this directory and do an "rpmbuild -bb
kguitar.spec" getting an initial rpm build might be as easy as that.

Once that is done review the specfile and make it match:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingGuidelines

Then do an rpmbuild -bs kguitar.spec, now a srpm should show up under
/usr/src/redhat/SRPMS, put the srpm somewhere on the web and mail a link
to it to the fedora-extras list with a review request.

Regards,

Hans