Self-Introduction: Paul Howarth

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sun May 8 09:53:48 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-08 at 01:40 -0700, Aaron Kurtz wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 16:16 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> > In addition to the pptp package I referred to earlier
> > (http://www.city-fan.org/~paul/extras/pptp/), I now have a
> > GTorrentViewer package available for inspection:
> >
> > http://www.city-fan.org/~paul/extras/GTorrentViewer/
>
> Ah, interesting package, with some nice features I haven't seen
> elsewhere. Compiles and works without a problem.

Thanks for looking at this.

> As for the spec, first off, I'd suggest calling it gtorrentviewer
> instead. It's what the binary is after all. See
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageNamingGuidelines#head-26057558c8d1ceba1dfb290d88fd8159c1794732 as well.

I looked at the packaging guidelines earlier and this was one of those
cases where it could go either way. Even the upstream author doesn't
seem too sure, because all the references on the website (and indeed the
tarball name) are mixed case, but the binary is, as you say, lower case.
Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

> Second, NEWS is a zero-length file, so take it out of the %doc line.

Will do; surprised I missed that.

> Third, I don't believe the use of the various %(__rm) and %(__make) macros are necessary, and seem to go against the usual Fedora style.

I can certainly do that, but does replacing them actually make the
package any better? Anyone else have any comments on that?

> I'd also suggest the use of Dist Tags to make it easier to have
> different e:v-r between releases. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DistTag

I read the "make tag and %{?dist}" thread earlier this month and got the
impression that all of this stuff was in a state of flux, which is why I
left it out. I noted Warren Togami's post
(https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2005-
May/msg00061.html) that the "scary macro voodoo" was supposed to be
being replaced by some scripting. I actually happen to like macros
personally as they aid building cross-distro/release packages from the
same spec file, so I'll probably do something like:

%{!?dist: %define dist .fc3}

as suggested by Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams
(https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2005-
May/msg00077.html) in the hope that it will be future-proof (<crosses
fingers>).

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>