Self-Introduction: Paul Howarth

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazquez at ivazquez.net
Sun May 8 10:09:18 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-08 at 10:53 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-05-08 at 01:40 -0700, Aaron Kurtz wrote:
> > Third, I don't believe the use of the various %(__rm) and %(__make)
> > macros are necessary, and seem to go against the usual Fedora style.
>
> I can certainly do that, but does replacing them actually make the
> package any better? Anyone else have any comments on that?

I don't think it really matters. If there's an upstream or umbrella spec
file that you're trying to keep in sync with and it uses those macros
then I'd say go ahead and leave them in.

> > I'd also suggest the use of Dist Tags to make it easier to have
> > different e:v-r between releases. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DistTag
>
> I read the "make tag and %{?dist}" thread earlier this month and got the
> impression that all of this stuff was in a state of flux, which is why I
> left it out. I noted Warren Togami's post
> (https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2005-
> May/msg00061.html) that the "scary macro voodoo" was supposed to be
> being replaced by some scripting. I actually happen to like macros
> personally as they aid building cross-distro/release packages from the
> same spec file, so I'll probably do something like:
>
> %{!?dist: %define dist .fc3}
>
> as suggested by Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams
> (https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2005-
> May/msg00077.html) in the hope that it will be future-proof (<crosses
> fingers>).

I did find a problem whereby if you have %dist defined as per the macro
definitions on the wiki page it can interfere with make tag, but I
suppose that's why you should be using mach (and why the disttag macros
should *not* go into redhat-rpm-config).

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazquez at ivazquez.net>
http://fedora.ivazquez.net/