Review Request: pptp

Chris Ricker kaboom at oobleck.net
Tue May 10 13:28:07 UTC 2005

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Paul Howarth wrote:

> Regarding patents, I don't believe that the ppp_mppe module has any patent
> issues, but the alternative ppp_mppe_mppc module does.
> See:
> http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-diagnosis.phtml#running_pppd_after_connection

Okay, looks like encryption's fine, but compression is patented?

> > Packaging of pptpconfig to go with this would be useful too
>
> Well, yes, but that opens another can of worms as I mentioned earlier:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2005-May/msg00394.html
>
> The PHP4 in FC3 doesn't include the pcntl module, and FC4 ships with PHP5,
> which I believe (I haven't tried it) is incompatible with php-gtk.

Yeah, I'd forgotten they're in php-gtk. I think the php-gtk plan is to
skip over 5.0 and only support PHP5.1+?

> > >An open source PPTP VPN server is also available, namely PoPToP
> > >(http://poptop.sourceforge.net/). I may package this for extras too at a
> > >later
> > >date if there's demand for it.
> >

> > Given the general broken-ness of PPTP, it might be best not to encourage
> > people to persist in furthering the use of it :-)
>
> Unfortunately some of us have no choice if we need to use $EMPLOYER's VPN.

Right, and that's where the pptpclient enters in. My point was that it
might be best not to package a PPTP server (poptop) because if you do,
you'll just encourage people to persist in setting up more PPTP servers.

later,
chris