install versus cp -a in %install

tian at c-sait.net tian at c-sait.net
Thu May 12 09:55:40 UTC 2005

Hello,

There was a question about this topic in one of my previous mails. But it
could have gone unoticed because there was a lot of other information in
it ;)

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2005-May/msg00374.html

So the question is about the use of install program in %install section of
a .spec to copy files. Is that better to use it instead of a more simple
'cp -a'

A major drawback of install is that it doesn't have recursive mode. And
its only advantage, from my point of view, is that it is possible to
specify some permissions and ownerships.

But as this last operation is performed in the %files section, I think
there is no need to use this feature.

Am I missing something there? If there is no advantages using install, I
will be able to do a more concise and clean .spec file.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Tian.