Request for review: netselect

Aaron Kurtz a.kurtz at hardsun.net
Fri May 13 17:52:32 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 18:01 +0200, Adrian Reber wrote:
> http://lisas.de/~adrian/rpm/netselect-0.3-1.src.rpm
>
> An ultrafast intelligent parallelizing binary-search
> implementation of "ping".
>
> http://www.worldvisions.ca/~apenwarr/netselect/
>
> In addition to the netselect program I have added a shell sript which
> reads the repo files and replaces the mirrorlist with the "best mirror".
> The best mirror is only determined by netselect which probably isn't the
> best way to select a mirror but it is a start.

Ah, apt-spy for Fedora. Good.

- Do not use install -s to strip binaries - RPM handles this and sticks
the information in a -debuginfo RPM. Plus, it dies on FC4t3 trying to
strip the netselect-yum shell script. Whoops.
- Considering this is Fedora Extras, an entirely separate -yum package
is a bit unnecessary. Just roll it in.
- This needs to run as root all the time? Some mention of this would be
good.
= DistTags. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DistTag
= Perhaps rather than hitting all the mirrors, netselect-yum could hit
just a region? Ideally this could be taken from /etc/sysconfig/clock's
ZONE= setting.
+ SHA1SUMs check out, builds just fine once install -s has been fixed.

--
Aaron Kurtz <a.kurtz at hardsun.net>