New package: denyhosts

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Fri May 13 20:12:29 UTC 2005

Denyhosts is a little bit of Python called out of cron that looks
through /var/log/secure, picks out hosts doing those annoying mass SSH
login attempts and stuffs them in /etc/hosts.deny.  It lives at
http://denyhosts.sf.net

I'm relatively new at this, but I needed to make a package for
denyhosts to deploy on my externally-facing login boxes and figured
I'd try to do it the right way.  There aren't many packages that would
be simpler.  RPM (not signed) and .spec are in
http://www.math.uh.edu/~tibbs/denyhosts

Various bits were cribbed from the yum package.  I tried to please
rpmlint, but it seems to complain excessively:

W: denyhosts conffile-without-noreplace-flag /etc/rc.d/init.d/denyhosts
E: denyhosts executable-marked-as-config-file /etc/rc.d/init.d/denyhosts

I don't understand what I should do here; I copied what yum does.

E: denyhosts zero-length /var/lib/denyhosts/offset
E: denyhosts zero-length /var/lib/denyhosts/users-valid
E: denyhosts zero-length /var/lib/denyhosts/suspicious-logins
E: denyhosts zero-length /var/lib/denyhosts/users-invalid
E: denyhosts zero-length /var/lib/denyhosts/users-hosts
E: denyhosts zero-length /var/lib/denyhosts/hosts

I'm not sure how to handle the files in /var/lib; they will be created
on the first run (with warnings) but they should probably be removed
when the package is.  Just owning %{_localstatedir}/lib/denyhosts
didn't seem good enough for that.

E: denyhosts non-readable /etc/denyhosts.conf 0600
E: denyhosts non-standard-dir-perm /var/lib/denyhosts 0700

It's kind of dumb to complain about restrictive permissions for a
system daemon.

E: denyhosts no-signature
E: denyhosts no-chkconfig-line /etc/rc.d/init.d/denyhosts

The init.d file does have a chkconfig line, but rpmlint is picky about
spaces versus tabs.

I welcome your comments.  If anyone believes that it would be useful
to import this, I suppose I would need a sponsor.

Thanks for your time,
--
  Jason L Tibbitts III - tibbs at math.uh.edu - 713/743-3486 - 660PGH - 94 PC800
       System Manager:  University of Houston Department of Mathematics