Request for review: netselect

Adrian Reber adrian at lisas.de
Mon May 16 09:11:51 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 10:52:32AM -0700, Aaron Kurtz wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 18:01 +0200, Adrian Reber wrote:
> > http://lisas.de/~adrian/rpm/netselect-0.3-1.src.rpm
>
> - Do not use install -s to strip binaries - RPM handles this and sticks
> the information in a -debuginfo RPM. Plus, it dies on FC4t3 trying to
> strip the netselect-yum shell script. Whoops.

Fixed -s errors. Cannot reproduce break during stripping on a machine
following development packages.

> - Considering this is Fedora Extras, an entirely separate -yum package
> is a bit unnecessary. Just roll it in.

I would rather like to leave it as two packages.

> - This needs to run as root all the time? Some mention of this would be
> good.

? The script can be run as non-root if netselect is suid, else it
complains. Where should it be mentioned? %description

> = DistTags. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DistTag

Ahh... not yet. If it becomes necessary.

> = Perhaps rather than hitting all the mirrors, netselect-yum could hit
> just a region? Ideally this could be taken from /etc/sysconfig/clock's
> ZONE= setting.

Good idea, but I would rather like to do such things in a later version
once the first version has been published.

		Adrian

--
Adrian Reber <adrian at lisas.de>            http://lisas.de/~adrian/
COBOL is for morons.