Request for review: netselect

Aaron Kurtz a.kurtz at hardsun.net
Tue May 17 11:19:39 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 11:11 +0200, Adrian Reber wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 10:52:32AM -0700, Aaron Kurtz wrote:

> > - Considering this is Fedora Extras, an entirely separate -yum package
> > is a bit unnecessary. Just roll it in.
>
> I would rather like to leave it as two packages.

Why? It's just one file in the -yum package.

> > - This needs to run as root all the time? Some mention of this would be
> > good.
>
> ? The script can be run as non-root if netselect is suid, else it
> complains. Where should it be mentioned? %description

Suid just for pinging? I try to minimize suid use. %description seems a
good place to me. I'm thinking of this more for the netselect binary
than the script, as it's understandable for something that rewrites
mirror choices to need root. But if the mirror script's the important
part, why not one package?

> > = DistTags. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DistTag
>
> Ahh... not yet. If it becomes necessary.

Never a bad time to start good habits. I wonder why it's not mandatory.

> > = Perhaps rather than hitting all the mirrors, netselect-yum could hit
> > just a region? Ideally this could be taken from /etc/sysconfig/clock's
> > ZONE= setting.
>
> Good idea, but I would rather like to do such things in a later version
> once the first version has been published.

Perfectly understandable. And considering it's just pinging, this isn't
as necessary as for apt-spy's tests.
--
Aaron Kurtz <a.kurtz at hardsun.net             GPG Key ID: ED588CF2