New Package: kyum

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Tue May 17 20:35:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, 17 May 2005 17:42:01 +0200, Jochen Schmitt wrote:

> I have uploaded a modified version of the source RPM to:
>
> http://www.herr-schmitt.de/pub/kyum/kyum-0.6.3-1.src.rpm

* It failed to build here, not finding Qt headers. You need to set $QTDIR
at the beginning of %build with something like this:

  [ -n "$QTDIR" ] || . %{_sysconfdir}/profile.d/qt.sh

* Package description says:

  "Note that you must be root to run this program!"

This is not good. Make it that it's executed via kdesu [or
consolehelper-gtk (aka usermode-gtk), and a PAM config file].

In the desktop file, it _is_ executed via kdesu, so the description
is misleading. It should not encourage anybody to run KDE as root.

* Due to using kdesu, a dependency on kdebase is missing. Dependency
on kdelibs is automatic.

* Desktop icon is stored in a path not found with GNOME.

> kyum-0.6.3.tar.gz

Tarball contains duplicate source code. One version in directory "kyum",
the other in "kyum-0.6.3". Explains why it's twice its real size.

>  mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_datadir}/applnk/Utilities
>  desktop-file-install --delete-original \
>  --vendor fedora              \
>  --dir $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_datadir}/applications/kde  \
>  --mode 0644                                    \
>  --add-category X-Fedora                        \
>  --add-category Application                     \
>  --add-category SystemSetup                     \
>  $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_datadir}/app*/*/%{name}.desktop
>  cd $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_datadir}/applications/kde

First and last line of this block doesn't serve any purpose.

> %{_docdir}/HTML/en/kyum/*.png
> %{_docdir}/HTML/en/kyum/index*

%_docdir/HTML/en/kyum directory is not included.
No other documentation is included. No licence, no changelog.

> /usr/share/apps/kyum/icons/hicolor/22x22/actions/abort.png

%_datadir/apps/kyum directory and all its sub-directories are not
included in the package either.

> /usr/bin/kyum_sysinfo.py

Script is -x. Its default command interpreter /bin/python does not
exist on FC4. Such non-executable scripts are better stored in a
data directory IMO.

--
Fedora Core release Rawhide (Rawhide) - Linux 2.6.11-1.1305_FC4
loadavg: 2.35 2.26 2.11