New package: denyhosts

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Tue May 17 21:52:14 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 16:34 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> AK> Should this really be turned on in post?
>
> I just copied yum: it chkconfigs itself on but doesn't start itself.
> It's possible for yum to nuke your system during your nightly update
> if your repositories are messed up, yet it enables itself in %post.
> It doesn't matter much to me, but I figured that copying an
> established package was the best way to get things right.

Yours (from the spec file you pointed to):
----
%post
/sbin/chkconfig --add denyhosts
/sbin/chkconfig denyhosts on
/sbin/service denyhosts condrestart >> /dev/null
exit 0
----

>From yum.spec (as pulled from Fedora CVS):
----
%post
/sbin/chkconfig --add yum
/sbin/service yum condrestart >> /dev/null
exit 0
----

Note the difference: the "chkconfig on" line isn't there in yum.spec.
That doesn't turn it on, it just registers it. The package should
definitely register its initscript using chkconfig; turning it on is
another story, especially for things that interact with network access.
(Of course, in many cases this might not be as bad as, say, a telnet
server auto-enabling itself, but still...)

/Per