Changes about php-sqlite

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Fri May 20 11:54:48 UTC 2005

Hi,

As of PHP5, sqlite v2 support is included in the main PHP sources, but
after checking, the FC PHP5 packages are compiled with "--without-sqlite"
explicitly, so SQLite support isn't present in Core.

In the Extras FC-3 branch, there is still the php-pecl-sqlite extension :
http://pecl.php.net/package/sqlite

But it fails to rebuild on FC Development, and is considered pretty much
obsolete since : 1) SQLite support is included in the main PHP sources
2) The author started working on a PDO SQLite module instead

More info about this newer module here :
http://pecl.php.net/package/PDO_SQLITE

I've got packages ready for php-pecl-pdo and php-pecl-pdo-sqlite already,
but as it is an SQLite extension for v3 databases and isn't compatible
with v2 databases, it can't really be considered a drop-in replacement for
the older php-pecl-sqlite package. Well, in terms of functionality, I
guess it can.

Two options :
1) Try to build a newer php-sqlite from the main PHP5 tarball
2) Build the PDO SQLite v3 module and move forward (me, not impartial ;-)

In both cases, the module should obsolete php-pecl-sqlite <= 1.0.3 for
smooth upgrades (rpm-wise). I personally prefer the SQLite v3 approach
since that's what'll be in FC4 Core, so people will have the compatible
tools to manipulate the databases... but it will mean breakage for people
using the existing SQLite v2 module upon upgrade.

Thoughts?

Matthias

Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) - Linux kernel 2.6.11-1.27_FC3
Load : 0.21 0.28 0.41