Request for review: replacing cdiff with colordiff

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri May 20 12:37:55 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 11:37:01AM +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
> - It says it's a wrapper to diff, but you don't require diffutils, is that
>   normal?

It's not really a wrapper exactly -- it's just filter that adds colors. You
could use it on patch files directly. This might be somewhat confusing,
though -- it might not *hurt* to add this dependency.

> - The obsoletes should contain the last known version or version-release of
>   cdiff, especially since you provide cdiff.

Oh, I see that Ville has actually added a cdiff wrapper that acts exactly
like cdiff, thus removing my earlier complaint.

So in that case, it looks pretty good. I'm not so sure about the
"plain=black" in the config file -- looks pretty ugly in my grey-on-black
gnome terminal.

Also, like the original cdiff, it doesn't handle wrapped lines properly in
'less -R' -- this might be a less bug, I'm not sure. Or maybe even a
gnome-terminal one. Anyway, I suggest making that less -RS.